One Week Before the Exam
Stop all iron, aspirin, blood thinners, arthritis medicines, anti-inflammatory medicine, and all vitamins and supplements. Do not eat any products containing Olestra/Olean (WOW potato chips). You may take Tylenol, if needed.
You will need to purchase the following:
- Dulcolax (bisacodyl-generic) tablets. (Available (otc) from your local pharmacy)
- Gatorade, PowerAde, Crystal Light or any clear liquid of choice. (Nothing red in Color).
- 255g bottle of Miralax (your doctor will give you a prescription)
The Day Before the Exam
- Start a clear liquid diet the day before the exam. Follow instructions for “clear liquid diet”. Do not eat or drink anything red in color.
- At 12 noon take 2 Ducolax tablets by mouth.
- At 1 pm, mix 2 17gm capfuls of Miralax with a glass of clear liquid of your choice and drink it.
- At 1:30 pm, repeat step 3 and repeat again every 30 to 45 minutes until you have finished 8 glasses of clear liquid with the Miralax mixture.
- At 4 pm take another 2 Dulcolax tablets:
Remember that these are laxatives you are taking so stay close to the restroom or close to home.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before the exam.
If you are a diabetic, take ½ of your usual dose of medication today-morning dose only.
The day of the exam:
- Do not take any medications the morning of the exam.
- Bring all medicine for Diabetes, any Heart Medicines and Medicine for High Blood Pressure with you to the exam.
- Do not wear contact lenses to the procedure. You may bring a case with your lenses. Failure to remove contacts during a procedure could result in corneal abrasion.
For your safety: It is mandatory that a responsible adult stay with you during your stay with us. You will not be able to drive yourself home. Due to the risk to your personal safety you will not be allowed to take public transportation or a taxi home.
Follow the instructions given here, not the instructions given by your pharmacist.