Flexible Sigmoidoscopy Preparation
The day before your exam a member of our Endoscopy Suite will contact you to confirm your arrival time to our facility.
- At 5 pm the day before the exam you must begin a clear liquid diet. See instructions for Clear Liquid Diet. You may have a noon meal. This is your last solid food until after the exam.
- Drink one bottle of Magnesium Citrate at 5 pm the evening before the exam.
- The day of the exam you may have a clear liquid breakfast.
- Two hours before the exam, complete 2 Fleet Enemas. Take one then repeat in 15 to 30 minutes.
- Do not wear contact lenses to the procedure. You may bring a case with your lenses. Failure to remove contacts during a procedure could result in corneal abrasion.
- If you are unclear about these prep instructions and it is after office hours the night before your exam, call the office and our answering service will contact the doctor on call.
For your safety: It is mandatory that a responsible adult stay with you during your stay with us. You will not be able to drive yourself home. Due to the risk to your personal safety you will not be allowed to take public transportation or a taxi home.